Wednesday, October 7, 2015

I Brake For Watercolored Dahlias

Hi everybody!  Regina here and I want to inspire you to watercolor!

I started out this year loving poppies and I still do but now I am on to a new flower, the dahlia.  I love all of the little petals and they are super fun to watercolor.  I got my inspiration from a Kristina Werner video.  Her inspiration was from a comforter and she made a card using the purple inks I used below. 

Here's a link to I Brake For Stamps online store.  I LOVE this stamp set!  It's great when you know you will actually use all the stamps in a set.  

The set is called, Quarter Sheet Dahlia.  I also used Large Grungy Leaves stamp.  This is what it looks like...



















I stamped the flower and leaves in Versamark ink and embossed with white embossing powder.  I chose a few Tim Holtz inks in Fall colors and just pressed the ink pad on my craft mat and spritzed with water and used a watercolor brush to paint the different colors on my flower and blended.  It's so easy and relaxing.  I also used Fossilized Amber, I added that later to have a golden brown yellow color.  Be careful not to paint outside the lines of the flower.  Then I used Antique Linen to paint the background.  Be careful not to touch the flower when you're painting the background because the colors will run.  Ask me how I know that!  LOL!  Use a heat gun to dry.  Take a paper towel and wipe off the flower and the ink will come off of the embossed part, it resists the ink.  Then I put a few drops of water in my hand and let them drop onto the paper.  After the water sits for 30 seconds to a minute, take a paper towel and blot and you will have the white spots, dry with heat gun.  You can add more water droplets but dry in between.  I sponged ink around the edge of the watercolor paper and around the sentiment.  I added a few sequins and twine and called it a day.  

Supplies:
  
  • Recollections 110# card stock for card base
  • Gina K Designs Tomato Soup and Cherry Red card stock
  • Strathmore 140# Cold Press Watercolor Paper
  • Tim Holtz Distress Inks in Fired Brick, Fossilized Amber, Ripe Persimmon, Spiced Marmalade and Abandoned Coral.  Antique Linen for background and Gathered Twigs for sponging around edges and stamping the sentiment
  • Sizzix Framelits Die, Phrases.  Stephanie Barnard's name is on package and these numbers 658838
  • Versamark Ink
  • Recollections Detail Embossing Powder in Snow
  • Watercolor Brush
  • Tombo Mono Adhesive
  • Pop Dots
  • Craft Medley Sequins in Citrus
  • American Crafts Twine
Purple card, same as above but used Tim Holtz Victorian Velvet, Seedless Preserves and Dusty Concord.  Sequins are Craft Medley, Viola, Gina K Designs card stock in Kraft and Edible Eggplant.

Did I inspire you to start watercoloring?  These Tim Holtz inks are so easy to work with and the colors are so vibrant.  You can do a lot with this Dahlia Stamp Set. 

Check out the Christmas stamps too.  There are deals of the week for 50% off. 

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!



Regina - I Brake For Stamps Design Team Member


2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful creation , I love how the colors blend love the inspiration Regina !!

    ReplyDelete