Wednesday, February 15, 2017

I Brake For...Sunflowers!

Hello my creative friends.  Today I have a card and little gift box with a sunflower theme to show you - first the card.

I have several sunflower stamps - just can't seem to get enough of them!  I suppose it reminds me of the place I grew up - down the street our neighbors had a small patch of sunflowers in their front yard. They looked enormous to me, probably because I was just a little thing. I've always love the big bold blooms.  This sunflower  image from IBFS can be found HERE.

Usually when I do a sunflower card I use darker colors - mustard yellows and browns.  This time I wanted to go a little brighter and found some digital paper in my computer files that worked well.  It has yellow and browns but cooled down with blue.  Love it!  I stamped the image on copic x-press it cardstock in memento tuxedo black ink.  The stitched design on the panel (hard to see in the photo) was created using my silhouette. Copic markers were used for coloring.  The vellum panel with the word "sunflower" was computer generated. It originated as a silhouette cut file but I could not get my machine to cut the intricate design in a small enough scale to fit on the card.

Tell me about your coloring process.  I've evolved over the years - I've been stamping since the late 1990's.  In using copics I've found that it helps me to have a practice piece to work out the right mix of colors.  I usually take a small piece of cardstock and stamp the image - it doesn't have to be the full image - and test my colors.  It's what I did with the sunflowers in this card.  I worked out a few different shades in the copic color Y and YR ranges on my practice piece first and was able to color the final version quickly.  It may seem like an extra step but it helps me get the right blend of colors.

Now for the little box.  I had enough of the digital paper left over and decided to put it to use by making a small coordinating gift box.


The box was created using an easy origami fold and two pieces of paper.  To top it off I cut a circle with a spellbinders die and stamped one of the sunflower blooms .  The box is about 2.5 inches.

I have a short video on how I created the box.  I hope you find it useful.



I'm so glad you stopped by today.  Hop on over to the IBFS store - I know you will find something there to love!






No comments:

Post a Comment