Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Ah Coffee and Music!

I do love a good cup of coffee, but I also love the scent, and I love using coffee as a dye/aging process for seam binding. When I want to add an aged or vintage look, I add coffee! Take a look:

I used Dark Peach Seam Binding with these steps:
1. Brew a cup of coffee and fill Mini Mister with cooled coffee.
2. On a craft sheet or plastic place mat, spray coffee onto seam binding, while crinkling at the same time.
3. Continue spraying and crinkling until desired shades are achieved. Let dry.

Easy to do and it ends up smelling wonderful too!  My lace is from an antique store that I raided this fall on one of my junk jaunts looking for vintage lace and Valentines to use on projects.  

My image is from my favorite set in the IBFS Store: Music Collage Quarter Sheet. I use this set over and over! Love it!

I stamped my images using Memento Rich Cocoa ink and distressed the edges with Spun Sugar Distress ink and Close to Cocoa dye ink. I added a little corner doily piece for some fun paper lace.


My mom worked as an organ and piano teacher when I was born. When I turned 4, she taught me to play piano (Teaching Little Fingers to Play - anyone else learn from that book?), and I have been playing ever since. When I was in junior high, she became an elementary music teacher. My dad had a beautiful tenor voice - one that never wavered, even when he was 79 years old. He was a minister, and when I was 10, he took on two country churches (in addition to ours) that didn't have a pastor - or a pianist. So I traveled with him Sunday afternoons and played for two services every Sunday and learned to sight read on hymns - and have hardly missed a Sunday playing since then!

My husband is a trumpet and French horn player, my daughter plays the oboe, and my son is also a trumpeter, drummer, keyboardist and guitarist. All of us love to sing and harmonize. When my kids were about 3 I taught them a silly made-up song about brushing your teeth. For you music officianados, I sang on the tonic, and they had to sing on the 3rd and 5th above that, then switch parts. Short song, but they learned harmony that way!

I am a music teacher by day, and a music director on weekends. I find good music in just about every genre there is, and enjoy listening to a symphony as much as a raucous rock band. Unless it's Lady Antebellum, and they edge everyone out.... :)

Want to enjoy a two-minute musical pick-me-up? Click here.

Have a great musical day! 

1 comment:

  1. Judy, this is a wonderful, little piece of art. I love the stamp!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete